MK Ahmed Tibi, from the UAL-Ta’al (United Arab List) party, visited the convicted terrorist Marwan Barghouti in jail yesterday, calling for the release of this brave “freedom fighter”.
“Marwan Barghouti is like the Palestinian people; he’s unwilling to surrender to the Israeli occupation,” Tibi said following the visit. “Barghouti said that he and the other inmates are maintaining high spirits.”
MK Tibi also met Karim Yunes, one of the most veteran Arab prisoners, who has been in jail for some 30 years following the murder of an IDF soldier.
“Barghouti told me that the sanctions adopted against Palestinian prisoners in the wake of the Shalit abduction are still in place and were not lifted, even though the swap was completed,” the Knesset member said.
Cry me a river. They should never have had any benefits beyond bread and water and basic medical care for the crimes they committed.
Following the visit, MK Tibi called for Barghouti’s release, characterizing him as a “freedom fighter.”
“He is struggling for the sake of the Palestinian people and his place is among the Palestinian political leadership and not behind bars,” the Knesset member said. “His natural place is out of prison and not in it. All peace and liberty champions should endorse his release.”
I have few expectations of Ahmed Tibi, who although he must have declared allegiance tot he State of Israel when he became a member of the Knesset, has shown very little of such over the years of his activity.
However I expected more from Labour MK Amir Peretz, former Defence(less) Minister during the 2nd Lebanon War, who visited Barghouti last week and also called for his release:
He explained that Barghouti would help the Palestinian Authority uphold a peace treaty with Israel.
The Labor MK, who has visited Barghouti several times since he resigned from his role as defense minister in 2007, said that “today, the Palestinian leadership needs diplomats and statesmen, such as [President Mahmoud] Abbas, but they also need people like Barghouti, a brave man who has grassroots support on the Palestinian street.”
I am still trying to decide whether statements like these confirm Peretz’s treachery, ignorance or delusional idiocy. Maybe all three.
Just to remind my readers who is Marwan Barghouti and what was he convicted of, here is a short bio:
1. Marwan Barghouti Served as Secretary General of Fatah in Judea, Samaria and Gaza, a member of the Palestinian legislature, head of the Tanzim, and the founder of the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades which has carried out a large number of deadly terrorist attacks killing scores of Israelis and wounding hundreds.
2. In the framework of his activities, he has received large amounts of funds from different sources both inside and outside Israel. Among these sources is the Palestinian Authority. The specific allocations of these funds were authorized by the actual signature of Yassser Arafat. These funds were used by Marwan Barghouti to finance many activities carried out by terror cells in the West Bank.
3. Marwan Barghouti served as the most senior official in the Al-Aqsa Brigades. Nasser Avis, who was recently captured in Samaria, and Ahmed Barghouti, who was Marwan Barghouti’s personal assistant, reported directly to him. These two served as his operational officers and, under the initiative of Marwan Barghouti, launched dozens of attacks, including a large number of suicide bombings within Israel.
4. The following are some of the more heinous terror attacks for which Marwan Barghouti is responsible:
- Jun 12, 2001 – The murder of a Greek Orthodox monk on the road to Ma’ale Adumim.
- Jan 17, 2002 – The shooting attack during a bat mitzva celebration at a banquet hall in Hadera. Six Israelis were killed in this attack, 26 were injured.
- Jan 22, 2002 – The shooting spree on Jaffa Street in Jerusalem. Two Israelis were killed, 37 wounded.
- Feb 25, 2002 – The shooting attack in the Jerusalem residential neighborhood of Neve Ya’acov. One Israeli policewoman was killed, 9 Israelis were wounded.
- Feb 27, 2002 – The murder of an Israeli at a coffee factory in the Atarot industrial zone of Jerusalem.
- Feb 27, 2002 – The suicide attack perpetrated by Daryan Abu Aysha at the Maccabim checkpoint in which two policeman were injured.
- Mar 5, 2002 – The shooting spree at the Tel Aviv Seafood restaurant. Three Israelis were killed, 31 wounded.
- Mar 8, 2002 – A suicide terrorist was killed in Daheat el Barid as he was on his way to carry out an attack in Jerusalem.
- Mar 27, 2002 – The interception of an ambulance and the confiscation of an explosive belt which was being smuggled from Samaria into Barghouti’s terrorist infrastructure in Ramallah.Marwan Barghouti was also directly responsible for operating the terrorist cell of Raed Karmiin Tulkaram which carried out a series of deadly terrorist attacks.
Freedom fighter indeed.