Update on Katyusha fire

Remains of katyusha

Remains of katyusha

Further to the katyusha rocket fire into the Galilee last night, in which 4 rockets were fired and not just one or two as I reported, the IDF returned fire on Lebanon.

Police say projectiles land in Western Galilee near Lebanese border; some damage, but none hurt; Police, IDF search for additional rocket; IDF believes terror group other than Hezbollah responsible.
IDF artillery cannons pounded Lebanese targets early Tuesday morning in response to four Katyusha rockets fired into northern Israel.

Four 122 millimeter rockets fired from within Lebanon, just north of the border, landed in the Western Galilee shortly after midnight. No injuries were reported in the attacks.

The IDF said in a statement that it views the rocket attacks as a severe incident and it holds the Lebanese government and the Lebanese military responsible for preventing such actions.

The IDF Northern Command has gone on full alert and is holding continuous evaluation in light of the events, the statement added.

The Western Galilee was a target of Hezbollah rocket attacks during the 2006 Lebanon War, but the front has been largely quiet for the past several years. A small number of isolated rocket attacks struck northern Israel in the years following the Second Lebanon War, but no attacks have been reported in the last two years.

The IDF assessment is that it is not Hezbollah, but rather al-Qaida or Palestinian terror groups who operate inside Lebanon that were behind the rocket fire, as has been the case in the past with isolated attacks.

The IDF planned to file an official complaint with UNIFIL over the attacks.

Well, I wish them luck with that but I have zero expectations (if not less) from the UN.

In rather disappointing news however,

The IDF has confirmed that their was not an explosion near the southern Lebanese city of Tyre last week, as opposed to media reports claiming that a blast had occurred.The reports had claimed that a Hezbollah weapons cache had exploded in the area, but the IDF sent a drone over the village which did not detect any indication of an explosion.

Oh well, better luck next time.

This entry was posted in Israel news, Mideast news and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.